Summer’s over and school’s back in session. This makes September the perfect time for Save Your Photos Month.
What is Save Your Photos Month (SYPM)?
SYPM began as Save Your Photos Day as few years ago as a public service outreach campaign to inspire and teach individuals how to preserve their precious family photos, videos and documents from accident or disaster. Spearheaded by the Association of Personal Photo Organizers the event has grown to a month long campaign featuring lots of local and online events and a daily photo preservation tip delivered directly to your email box.
The goal of SYPM is to inspire you to take a step, any step, big or small, towards safeguarding your family’s photographic memories.Why you should care that September is Save Your #Photos month #SYPM @savephotosday Click To Tweet
Why Should You Care about Save Your Photos Month?
- Do you take pictures?
- Do you have printed pictures in your home?
- Do you take pictures on your phone?
- What would you do if your house burned to the ground?
- What would you do if your cell phone fell into the pool?
- What would happen to all of your precious photos if something bad happened?
That is why you should care about SYPM. More than likely if your photos (print or digital) were to disappear, you would be heartbroken. Stuff like clothes and the new couch can be replaced but if you haven’t taken the steps to safeguard your photos, you are out of luck.
So What Should I Do?
Step 1: Visit the SYPM Blog
Visit the SYPM website and read the many helpful blogs found there.
Step 2: Check Out the Events
Step 3: Take Action
Here’s a few ideas from the SYPM site to get you started.
- Find five photos to frame and display for you to see every day
- Scan/ have scanned photos and slides for digital preservation
- Call a family member for the history behind an unknown photo
- Create a reminder in your phone to monthly back-up new photos
- Each week delete the unwanted photos from your mobile phone
So now’s the time to save your photos!
If you would like to get more organizing tips and ideas, sign up for our monthly e-newsletter. You’ll also get our 10 Easy Ways to Get More Organized tip sheet as a free gift.
*This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you purchase from a link, I may receive a small commission with no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting my business! See my disclosure policy for full details.