Organizing your photos is on your to-do list, right? But for some reason, it never rises to the top of the important things that need to get done. You know you should but….
Don’t worry. We’ve all been there, even us photo organizers. Life gets in the way of the nice-to-do stuff. But by organizing your photos, you can get them back in your life again!
Where Are Your Photos Now?
I bet your print photos are…
- Stored in shoe boxes which are terribly acidic (aka bad for your photos).
- In plastic tubs where they can’t breathe.
- Still in photo developing envelopes from 1984 (with duplicate or triplicate copies included). Again these are acidic and not meant for long term storage.
- Tossed willy-nilly into a box causing bending, wrinkles, rips, and they’ve started sticking together.
- In old non-acid free, non-archival albums, especially those crazy magnetic ones from the 80s and 90s.
While I bet your digital photos are….
- Stuck on your phone
- Stuck on your old phone
- Hidden on the computer’s hard drive
- Scattered among a million SD cards and USBs.
Anybody say yes to ALL of these?
As a photo organizer, I’ve seen photos in the strangest places and in the most inhospitable environments. Yes, it makes me cringe, but not everyone is ready to make a difference right now. I just hope that I can change their minds. When it comes to organizing your photos, finding them is always the first step.
What Is Your Excuse?
I’ve heard it all when it comes to reasons for not organizing your photos. Tell me if any of these sound familiar.
- Life got in the way. (#1 reason)
- I don’t know where to start.
- I don’t know what I need to do.
- It’s going to take forever.
- I get overwhelmed and walk away.
- I take a detour down memory lane and never come back.
- It’s going to be too expensive.
- I’m just too busy.
- It’s not really all that important, is it?
- Add your reasons here. _____________________________
Why Should You Organize Your Photos?
Now we come to the really important part. Why should you even undertake this crazy task of organizing your photos? Your pictures are happy in the back of the closet, right? Wrong!
- So you can find the picture you are looking for whenever you want to. (Gasp! I know that’s an amazing concept.)
- So you can safeguard and preserve your precious family photos and the stories behind them for future generations.
- So you can protect your pictures from potential damage and destruction. As much as we don’t want to think about a disaster happening to us, it can happen in the blink of an eye.
- So you can reclaim the space throughout your home where you’ve stashed all those random envelopes of photos.
- It will make you happy. (Do you really need another reason?)
My hope is that you realized that you are not alone in your struggle to find the time, energy, motivation or whatever it is that you need to start organizing your photos.#1 reason you need to organize your photos...it will make you happy. Click To Tweet
Throughout my website I have lots of resources and tips for photo organizing. Here are a few to get you started.
- Tools to Organize Your Printed Photos
- Do You Really Need To Keep All Those Photos?
- Get Those Pictures Off Your Phone
If you are ready to take things to the next level by organizing your printed photos, please consider my Get My Printed Photos Organized DIY Organizing Guide. With 6 modules and over 10 printables, it will walk you through every step of the photo organizing process from gathering your photos to digitizing them to sharing them with your friends and family. It’s time to get rid of the photo chaos and get the pictures back in your life again.
If you want to work with a photo organizer near you, visit the Association of Personal Photo Organizers to find one in your area.